All the Trees of the Field Will Clap Their Hands

December 17, 2008

“You will go out in joy
and be led forth in peace;
the mountains and hills
will burst into song before you,
and all the trees of the field
will clap their hands
.”
-Isaiah 55:12

The imagery of this verse has always enthralled me. When I picture what the joy of God looks like,  I imagine that the earth would have no other possible choice but to bow and applaud and sing and shake its head and stomp its feet. An all-encompassing celebration of its Maker that goes so deep that the very core of the earth would tremble with His goodness and light.

“The earth is God’s and everything in it.”

In my mind, I see God as the Great Lion of Judah, walking silently through the early reaches of the morning, observing all He has made and knowing, even as we break, smash, tear, twist and destroy…it is still good. Our hatred and cruelty cannot take away the glory of the mountains, cloaked in mist, or the utter eternity of the ocean, shattering waves against the coast. Our greed and ignorance will not make our skies any less blue or the stars any less endless.

The earth will continue on, celebrating in thunderstorms and swift gales, the joy of the Father and the peace of the Son.

And I heard from the trees a great parade.
And I heard from the hills a band was made.
And will I be invited to the sound?
And will I be a part of what you’ve made?
And I am throwing all my thoughts away.
And I’m destroying every bet I’ve made.
And I am joining all my thoughts to you.
And I’m preparing every part for you.

Sufjan Stevens

1. December 18, 2008 10:22 am

And to think that the incredible beauty and majesty that we see now is sullied and damaged! It’s beyond imagining what it will look like when we see it fully restored. If it can take our breath away now, what will it do then? I look forward to finding out some day.

December 18, 2008 12:52 pm

So do I. 🙂

3. this0side0of0the0truth permalink
    December 18, 2008 4:00 pm

Except I am not so sure the Earth can endure how much we drain it of its life. Its the only pure thing we physically have, and yet we spend our lives destroying it to build up ourselves.

If everyone respected the earth like you do than the earth would continue functioning normal, unfortunately as humans we have the will power and ability to turn things bad. And create global warming, and use up everything that is here.
    We can’t play God and control things, but we are best at fucking up and we have the power to ruin pretty much everything.

Our hatred and cruelty as humans Caroline is so deeply invested in everything that there isn’t any earthly thing un-touched by it. Obviously the entire population is not horrible and cruel, but a lot of us are.
    I don’t know if its living in a city, where every day you are presented with new joys and horrors of humanity, but I still think that our greed can take everything away.

It runs deep and its everywhere and there are too many of us to keep this place balanced.

I guess Im just way cynical.

Nature is again the only pure thing we have, but we are not powerless at destroying it. Most things won’t always be there.

December 18, 2008 4:33 pm

Yes, you are way too cynical.
    But I still love you.

5. this0side0of0the0truth permalink
    December 18, 2008 7:04 pm

I am way too cynical perhaps and you are way too idealistic.
    Thats why we make such lovely friends. And that is why there is balance in the universe.

All that really matters in the end is love anyways.

6. sandra permalink
    December 18, 2008 7:58 pm

critical v. cynical

December 19, 2008 2:33 pm

Whether critical or cynical, we are a good balance — all you need is loooooovvvvvvveeeeeee.