An Eco-tastic “Recipe” For Pearly Whites

May 4, 2009

I am fascinated to the back teeth with the idea of making your own everyday items, which stems from my valiant (and sometimes feeble) efforts to live in a more harmonious way with our pretty pretty planet.

I have been thinking about teeth whitening for a long time (strips, pastes etc.), but held off because it seemed frivolous, vain, and full of all sorts of yucky chemicals that I wasn’t nuts about putting right next to one of the most absorbent parts of my body (i.e. the gums).

But today, I decided to solve this problem the way I solve most problems: I Googled it.

“Eco friendly teeth whiteners”

And whaddya know, instead of $50 organic teeth whitening strips made of bamboo or something else equally odd and expensive, I found this:

Homemade Tooth Whitener

2 teaspoons Baking soda
2 teaspoons Hydrogen peroxide

Mix until it forms a runny paste. Brush your teeth with this solution and let it sit on your teeth for 2 minutes. Rinse with warm water and then brush your teeth with regular toothpaste to rid your mouth of the peroxide solution.You should not brush with this solution more than once a week.

I plan on allowing myself this small bit of vanity, and am going to try this out. I’ll let you know the results.

Anyone else have any good beauty product recipes? Please do share!

1. Glo permalink
    May 5, 2009 9:03 am

Caroline! I have been having the SAME dilemma! I seriously have stood in the teeth whitening aisle and turned away because it seems like a non-good use of money and chemicals. Thanks for the recipe!

May 5, 2009 9:09 am

Birds of a feather, Glo. 🙂

I’m glad someone else has awkwardly lingered in that aisle, picking up things, then putting them down, then going and picking out toothpaste, then coming back, staring, and finally leaving.

However, I did realize last night that I have no hydrogen peroxide…so I’ll have to pick that up before I try this recipe.

3. Amanda permalink
    May 5, 2009 11:43 am

Ohh You’ll have to let me know how this goes…I need to do the same thing!

4. May 5, 2009 1:29 pm

that is an awesome kitty picture.

i’ve been a long-time fan of arm & hammer baking soda + peroxide toothpaste. it just feels so natural.

i hope your google recipe works; i’ve been wondering about homemade toothpastes. good job on using the internets in creative ways!

May 5, 2009 2:51 pm

@ Amanda: I certainly will! As soon as I buy hydrogen peroxide. 🙂

@ Victor: The kitty picture is a random idea…I Googled “brushing your teeth” and thought this was too great to pass up! 🙂 Oh, the Internets!

6. Misterwrite permalink
    May 5, 2009 4:21 pm

Sorry, this is unrelated to the post, but are you familiar with International Justice Mission? http://www.ijm.org/

I checked them out and decided they’re worthy of getting some of my hard-earned money. I think you’d like them….

Mike

May 6, 2009 9:19 am

@ Mike:

I have heard of IJM before, but don’t know much about them. If you recommend them, I will check it out! 🙂 Thanks for passing it along!

Trackbacks