A Holy Pursuit

May 21, 2009

Pursue peace with everyone, and the holiness without which no one will see the Lord.
Hebrews 12:14

My interpretation of what Paul is saying (if he indeed was the one who penned Hebrews): when we pursue situations with a goal other than peace, we prevent people from seeing God. Is peace the only holy pursuit?

Just something to think about today. If you have any good thoughts, post ’em.

1. ratsekad permalink
    May 21, 2009 11:54 am

I could be reading this completely wrong, but the way I read it is:

Pursue peace with everyone, as well as holiness

pause

without which no one will see the Lord.

Meaning that, together we must seek peace and holiness because it can not be done alone.

I could be way off.

2. May 21, 2009 4:58 pm

То что бредомысли это точно 🙂
    Видно настиг творческий кризис. Мысле нет о чем писать 🙂

3. May 23, 2009 12:57 pm

“Love is the answer” says the old song. In loving there is peace and holiness. Being a little more “biblical”, the Love became flesh, lived among us. The Holy One said His peace should be with us.
    The strongest word in the text for me, though, is persue. It´s like peace is not something you get when you stand still with and empty mind… We gotta figth for it!
    Blessings

May 24, 2009 11:42 am

@ James:

I don’t think you’re way off at all. In fact, I think you’re way on. It actually makes even more sense to me the way you read it. The connection between peace and holiness is very much alive, and I think you’re absolutely right.

@ Marinkina:

I don’t speak or read Greek, but thank you for commenting all the same!

@ Ivan:

I love how you pointed out the necessity of pursuit — that peace is something we actively chase and struggle for — because that’s entirely the way it is! Thanks for visiting and reading! 🙂

5. May 25, 2009 1:48 am

Давно искала эту информацию, спасибо.

6. Sandra permalink
    May 25, 2009 8:34 pm

That’s Russian, lady. Maybe Tolstoy is back from the grave.

May 25, 2009 9:38 pm

@ Sandra:

You’re entirely right. And oops. Sorry about that!

8. Sandra permalink
    May 26, 2009 3:13 pm

I translated it for you:

“That is exactly bredomysli
    Apparently overtook creative crisis. No idea what to write”

enjoy.

9. May 26, 2009 10:55 pm

In that chapter of the sermon to the Hebrews, the context is the pursuit of holiness, so peace comes out of pursuing holiness. In other words, I agree 🙂