plane creepin’ + lists

May 11, 2010

I will be flying out to San Francisco in a mere 10 (!) days. I am beyond happy — so much so that my number of lists is growing exponentially along with my excitement. Packing lists, “to visit” lists, “eat here” lists, “do before I leave my house” lists. It’s part of the way I psyche up for a trip.

(What are some of your favorite travel traditions and rituals?)

Along with my plentiful lists in hand, I am also looking straight into the eyes of a five-hour flight (which necessitates another list — “to bring on plane”). While many people moan and groan about long flights, I actually rather delight in them. Being that I am petite and have small, compact limbs, I am free to simply enjoy five hours of free movies, cheery ladies bringing me ginger ale and an uninterrupted stack of books I can read without being legally allowed to check email or answer my phone.

It also allows me time for one of my favorite parts about traveling — meeting new people! This particular method is one I shall refer to as “plane creepin’.” Basically, I am that annoying person next to you who always tries to strike up a conversation and become your friend. (Many of you might hate me since I am breaking your aforementioned blissful plane bubble. I understand.) Usually, I come across pretty normal people — moms going to see their kids, professors and businessmen coming back from conferences, college students who stuff earbuds in their ears immediately upon seeing my face light up and turn towards them.

The only mildly unusual encounter I’ve ever had was actually while waiting for my luggage — I met a guy who had been in a Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen movie I used to love when I was younger. (I spent two hours on the flight from Paris trying to figure out how I recognized him after playing “I’m going to look at you and then pretend I’m not” tag with him at the gate in Charles de Gaulle.) He struck up a conversation while we waited an hour for our luggage in Cleveland and flirted with me, despite the fact I reeked of hostel and looked like I crawled out of the Seine.

(It was good for my self-esteem.)

So if you’re on a flight from Cincinnati to San Francisco next Friday and see a chatty blond girl yakking about homemade granola bars and food notebooks, you might want to sit in another aisle if you’re not feeling social.

[Photo credit here]

1. May 11, 2010 2:20 pm

Oh dear. I hate flying, mostly because other people act like they were raised in a barn, putting their feet on my seat, not giving me my turn with the armrest, treating the flight attendants like their mothers. It puts me in such a bad mood that generally I avoid people like you, who are only trying to be nice. I feel bad now.

May 11, 2010 4:36 pm

@ Elizabeth!

Don’t feel bad. I can understand the frustrations — when a kid is kicking my seat and my neighbor is oozing onto my seat, I feel less than chipper and friendly. In fact, I feel downright homicidal at times (is it okay to say that?).

Let’s hope I get placed next to a sweet old lady who wants to show me pictures of her grandkids. I can show her pictures of my niece and we’ll get along like gangbusters.

3. Victor permalink
    May 11, 2010 5:54 pm

“…so much so that my number of lists is growing exponentially along with my excitement”

This is why you’re a writer.

4. Scout permalink
    May 11, 2010 6:16 pm

Bluegrass got me through many a flight. After take- off and the general perusing of the patchwork landscape miles beneath, I close my eyes and imagine that I am in a large yellow field next to a creek watching bees buzz by.

Oh oh the banjo!

5. Kimpot permalink
    May 12, 2010 1:34 am

For me, the one thing that always comes standard with traveling is that I leave the packing till the night before my flight, and it almost always spills into the early morning hours. That or I decide to have a little rest – usually on the couch because there’s not room for me on my bed between the suitcase(s) and piles of clothes – and wake up a few hours before leaving the house to finish the packing. I inevitably leave something behind, but I learn to survive without it… Or I beg Mom to send it me.

I wish I was going to see your pretty face on this trip. It’s so unfortunate that you’ll be in the same state. So close yet so far. I hope you have a fabulous time out here (as if there’s any doubt that you will). I can’t wait to read about your adventures. Love you Sweet Caroline. xx

May 12, 2010 9:01 am

@ Victor!

*blushes* πŸ™‚ Thanks, friend.

May 12, 2010 9:12 am

@ Scout!

I will for sure be rocking some bluegrass during the moments where I am not chattering away to my aislemates. I love watching the patchwork earth — it’s one of my favorite parts of flying. Can’t WAIT to see YOU!

May 12, 2010 9:13 am

@ Kimpot!

Haha, that’s where we couldn’t be more different. I’m usually packed and ready to roll days beforehand. I’m a nerd — you should know this after all the traveling we did together over the pond. πŸ™‚ I believe you guys called me the “Walking Guidebook.”

I’m bummed we don’t get to connect on this trip, but I hope it can be sometime soon-ish! We’re about due for a reunion. Love you back!

9. May 12, 2010 10:11 am

Caroline, you are hilarious. Yes it’s okay to say you feel homicidal. Flying can bring out the worst.

May 12, 2010 11:51 am

@ Elizabeth!

Haha, thanks. I’ll admit, I usually laugh at my own jokes but am not sure that says anything at all about how hilarious I am. It lends more to the fact that I am easily amused. πŸ™‚

Let’s hope this flight brings out the best — all I have to concentrate on is that at the other end of the country is one of my best friends who is waiting to feed me a huge breakfast. What else could a gal ask for?