bbc love affair

May 17, 2010

I am in the midst of a longtime love affair. He’s a foreigner, a gentleman; he wears frilly shirts, rides horses, carries a cane and occasionally sports a top hat.

His name is…the BBC.

Anyone who’s read a bit of this blog knows that I’m an Anglophile of the most sentimental sort. I studied abroad in England during college and fell so violently in love with that island and its people that I know I shall never recover.

But since I am on this side of the pond and not that side, I content myself with watching miniseries from the BBC. This indulges my homesickness for England, as well as satisfies my affinity for books from the 1800s. Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Thomas Hardy, Elizabeth Gaskell. I make scones and brew tea and enjoy rainy days lost in hours-long miniseries that are fraught with drama, elaborate costumes, and words like “shan’t”, “circumlocation”, and “my dear Mrs. [insert pompous name here].”

And I love it.

I just finished this one:

And have in the recent months also enjoyed these:

(Fellow BBC nerds — what are some of your favorites? Any recommendations?)

I know eventually that I will exhaust my local library of all the dramatic miniseries it holds, but shhhh. Let’s not think of that day. I’m home sick (mostly exhausted) from work today, so I might pop in another and brew up another pot of tea.

Join me?

1. May 18, 2010 10:04 am

I always prescribe Jane Austen for colds. It’s comfort food for the mind. It won’t cure you but at least you’ll forget you’re sick for awhile. There’s nothing better than an adaptation of a classic English novel and the longer the better. I watched Anne Bronte’s The Tenant of Wildfell Hall a few weeks ago. I wish someone would adapt a few of Ann Radcliffe’s novels.

May 18, 2010 12:16 pm

@ Jeff!

Jane Austen is the cure to many ills, physical and otherwise. I like how you said it’s “comfort food for the mind.” SO TRUE.

I hope they adapt “The Mysteries of Uldolpho.” 🙂 Then maybe I can understood more about why Catherine is so scandalized by it in “Northanger Abbey.”

3. Grandma permalink
    May 19, 2010 9:47 am

Caroline…My comment left on the flaxseed article was meant to be here. Grandma

May 19, 2010 11:53 am

@ Grandma!

No problem! I will pop over there to see it. 🙂

5. Cassie permalink
    June 30, 2010 2:37 pm

Seriously, you are a woman after my own heart. I read this post during a *brain break* from work and thought, “wait… did I just write this?”

I too love BBC and all the old classics in miniseries form. Have you watched this version of Northanger Abbey? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844794/) It was part of the Jane Austen series they did a while back.

June 30, 2010 3:32 pm

@ Cassie!

I *just* watched that the other night while baking! I own the DVD. 🙂 I have the hugest crush on Mr. Tillney; I think he’s up there as one of my favorite Austen men.

Sigh. LOVE IT.

7. Méloë permalink
    April 17, 2012 7:17 pm

Awwww ! I am totally in love with the BBC too 🙂 I’m especially fond of all the series related to Jane Austen’s books.
    Neither do I live in England, but just as you, I love this island.