jamstress-ing

June 13, 2010

I made jam today on a whim. I was at the grocery store, contemplating gelato and instead, walked out with a box of canning jars. I used some strawberries and rhubarb I got at the Farmer’s Market yesterday and added some sugar and some lemon zest and TA-DA! Jam!

Just call me Sochelle, the greatest jamstress in Paris. (Two points and a high five if you get that reference! I couldn’t find a YouTube clip to go with it.)

I have for sure heard two of the seals pop, which is a good sign, but I am still awaiting the other two (one was a maybe — I’m not sure yet…a lot was going on).

In my head, I keep picturing this scene from “Holiday Inn,” a Bing Crosby holiday classic that I have seen innumerable times. Bing moves to a farm to live a simple life and brings back canned peach preserves to his New York City friends as Christmas gifts. They explode, one after another, spraying peaches all over Fred Astaire and his posh dressing room.

That might be me if I don’t hear two more pops. Yikes!

[photo credit here]

1. scout permalink
    June 13, 2010 10:50 pm

Is this anything to do with…..the jam made at the nunnery sold by a poor woman on the street to one Ms. Lorelai Gilmore for one Mr. Luke Danes, except really it was made by Jackson because they forgot to get Luke something.

AM I RIGHT!?!?! Do I get a high five?

2. Kimpot permalink
    June 14, 2010 12:17 am

That’s one of my favourite scenes from Holiday Inn! Shoot, who am I kidding; I love EVERY scene from that movie. But that one is pretty good. I hope you don’t have any exploding jams.

June 14, 2010 8:08 am

@ Scout!

You get a high five, two leg kicks, a fist pump in the air and six gold stars!! πŸ™‚

June 14, 2010 8:09 am

@ Kimpot!

We officially have two other pops — I tested the seals this morning and I do believe they are good! Huzzah! No exploding jam for me!

5. June 14, 2010 11:23 am

Homemade jam is the best! I made twelve jars of peach freezer jam last fall. I’m too afraid of poisoning myself to make any other kind. My kids and I love it. There’s one jar left in the freezer which I’m carefully guarding.

June 14, 2010 7:19 pm

@ Jeff!

From what I read, jam doesn’t have issues with botulism because the fruit has enough acid in it to keep it from breeding crazy microbes that will kill you. Your peach freezer jam sounds divine, though! I’m planning on making some peach-ginger jam once peaches are in season. I’ve got the jam bug now! πŸ™‚

Trackbacks