sainted vacation dad + t-rex road trips

June 29, 2010

When I was a kid, our family vacations more or less played out something like the Griswolds. While we never went to Wally World or Europe, we had our fair share of kookyness happen at the hundreds of historical sites, forts and presidental homes that my mother loved to frequent. Other children got to go to the beach or amusement parks; we stared at cannons and wore matching jumpers at pioneer reenactments.

I think back and give the greatest credit to my poor father, traveling with four women of all ages and hormone levels. He put up with our constant questions, arguments and even that one time that we made him listen to the cassette tape of the “Anne of  Green Gables” musical soundtrack all the way from Prince Edward Island back home to Ohio. On top of all of this, about every 15 minutes, he would hear this:

“Daaaaad! I have to GO! Can we stop at McDonald’s?”

“We just stopped at that rest stop 20 minutes ago. Why didn’t you go then?”

“Because I didn’t have to go then! But I really gotta go now!”

“I swear….(mumble mumble mumble possible swear word). I should just let you pee your pants.”

“Daaaaaaaad!”

(And to our own credit, we often used these impromptu McDonald’s bathroom stops to wheedle fries and ice cream out of my parents. My sisters and I are nothing if not champion multi-taskers.)

I saw this Dinosaur Comic this morning and it made me think of my dad (while the second driver described is definitely me — just ask any person who has ever driven anywhere with me. I have made a lot of people stop at farmers’ markets.).

[Comic credit here]

1. SJR permalink
    June 29, 2010 4:59 pm

Oh RN… It still hurts… (rejection is never easy).

But yeah, let’s photoshop my face onto T-Rex and it’s us.

2. Mom permalink
    June 30, 2010 8:40 am

Good one! You forgot “If you don’t stop that, I am turning this car around and going home.” or “Stop laughing, You can sleep tomorrow while I have to drive!” We did have a lot of GOOD times and your father and I wouldn’t trade a moment!!! Love you!!

June 30, 2010 8:56 am

@ SJR!

I just got Photoshop, so I can totally do it. :p Can’t wait to see you this weekend.

June 30, 2010 8:57 am

@ Mom!

Dad has many good lines — so many fond memories. 🙂 Love you back!

5. scout permalink
    July 1, 2010 1:34 pm

Oh my god:
    a. i seriously love a good pioneer reenactment. I used to carry around a stuffed cat (named noelle of course but spelled noel.) and wear a blue bonnet. Talk about gangly. I had a huge gap in my front teeth too.
    b. i still need to go to prince edward island. Honeymoon there with me please?
    c. when I was older my dad and I would try and trip the actors as they were walking around in their pioneer costumes. my mother would always get worked up into a rage over it.
    d. I seriously love you

July 1, 2010 1:49 pm

@ Scout!

I think we would have been such good friends as children. Our gawky-ness would have made the universe tremble.

And yes, let’s go to Prince Edward Island! We can pretend we’re Anne and Diana and dance across the beaches, reciting poetry.

LOVE YOU.