nosh friday: bread salad with cherries and goat cheese

July 16, 2010

When it’s hot outside and cooking feels like the last thing in the world you could ever have any desire to do, what’s a gal to do except make a gigantic salad?

Ironically enough, my sweet friend Kelley also featured this recipe on her photo blog this week. It must just be a week for this salad. Originally from the wonderful Molly Wizenberg’s A Homemade Life, I could gladly eat this entire recipe myself. (Though note to self: it does not bode well as leftovers. I tried.)

I’m not including much when it comes to measurements, because it really depends on your preference. Maybe you like less bread or more cherries; maybe you’re a goat cheese fanatic and you want to go nuts. Especially when it comes to salads and the like, I’m more of a renegade. I measure in handfuls, pinches, a bit of this, a bit of that. Plus when you’re hot and cranky, who wants to dirty measuring utensils?

Eat this, drink some cold white wine and suddenly, the heat won’t feel so bad anymore.

Bread Salad with Cherries and Goat Cheese
From A Homemade Life

1 baguette (preferably day-old, though I used brand-new and it worked pretty well), cubed into 1-inch cubes
4-5 handfuls salad greens, such as arugula or mixed baby greens
2-3 handfuls fresh sweet cherries, pitted
4 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
Balsamic vinegar
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Cube up the baguette and drizzle the cubes with olive oil. Toast the cubes in a 375 degree oven until golden brown and remove, setting aside to cool.

Pit the cherries with your cherry pitter, if you’re smart enough to have one. I, however, am not smart. I figured, “Using a paring knife can’t take THAT long.” 58 years later, I wiped my gray hair out of my eyes and was done pitting cherries.

Lesson: Buy a cherry pitter even if you do only use it a few times a year.

Toss the cherries into your salad bowl, adding a few handful of mixed greens (the recipe originally called for arugula, which I love and couldn’t find at my corner store when I made this salad on the fly to take to a picnic) and the bread cubes. Crumble the goat cheese on top.

In a separate, small bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar and olive oil (2 parts vinegar to 1 part oil) and add salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss together. Eat immediately. Lick out the bowl. Sigh repeatedly.

Serves 6

1. July 16, 2010 5:08 pm

I was going to ask you for this recipe when I saw the picture posted in one of your albums on Facebook. It inspired me to try my own bread salad. I love bread, and I love salad. It’s perfect. I can’t wait to try this one. Yum! 🙂

2. July 16, 2010 6:22 pm

Looks great! I have a whole bunch of raniers and Cypress goat cheese. I’ll be trying this.

I’m working on a virginia ham & honeyed plum galette. Update on that on my blog later! I must be nuts to have my oven on at 400 when it’s over 100 degrees here in Dayton. Send me to the foodie looney bin!

3. Scout permalink
    July 16, 2010 9:28 pm

I don’t understand the first paragraph? Am I missing something? You are hungry and you are mentioning that I am hungry or assuming I am hungry…or…what? huh?
    help.

4. SJR permalink
    July 17, 2010 6:05 pm

Pretty pictures, Carrie:)

July 17, 2010 11:55 pm

@ Rochelle!

I’m glad I could provide inspiration — I mean, a salad made of bread?! Who wouldn’t love such carby goodness? 🙂

July 17, 2010 11:56 pm

@ Hilary!

Welcome to the foodie looney bin — I’ve been here for months. 🙂 (Making jam in 85 degree weather, baking bread in 90 degree weather…)

It’s a good and tasty place to be.

July 17, 2010 11:57 pm

@ Scout!

You’re entirely right — the first paragraph was confusing. I edited it to make it more concise and understandable and less of me trying to be quirky and funny. 🙂

LOVE. YOU.

July 17, 2010 11:57 pm

@ SJR!

You’re a pretty picture.

9. scout permalink
    July 18, 2010 1:43 pm

Haha. Thank you sunshine.
    You are my favorite fruit.

Trackbacks