how to feel like a domestic superhero

July 19, 2010

I had noticed that my shower drain was draining a little more slowly these days and for weeks, I had been stumped as to what to do. With my intense head of curly hair, I seem to shed quite a bit more than the normal person and despite keeping a close eye on my renegade hairs, somehow, I still ended up with a clogged drain.

I flat out refuse to buy the scary, fluorescent blue drain cleaner that contains God-knows-what and pour it into the water source that helps sustain my life and the lives of others around me. So what to do, what to do?

I Googled “homemade drain cleaners,” found a “recipe” and tweaked it a little, and VOLIA, my shower drains like a pro. And all for about 75 cents or less.

So how can you empower yourself and feel like a domestic Wonder Woman (eco-friendly boots and hemp lasso optional)? Eaaaaaaasy peasy.

When you find yourself faced with a clogged drain, there are three common household ingredients you can use to keep the water flowing.

1. Clean out any excess hair lodged in the top of the drain (I’ve found tweezers can work well). I know this is kind of gross, but just do it fast and get it over with.
  2. Pour 1/4 cup of baking soda down the drain (make sure to remove any cover on the drain with a screwdriver…it makes me feel even more awesome to use tools).
  3. Pour white vinegar over the baking soda a little at a time, allowing it to foam and then subside, repeating this process until all the baking soda is dissolved.
  4. Pour a kettle of boiling water down the drain.
  5. Repeat the baking soda/vinegar process.
  6. Rinse through with more hot water (boiling not necessary) and test to make sure the water is draining properly. If not, repeat this process again. If it’s still not draining properly, you might need to call a plumber. (Also, don’t forget to screw back on your drain trap. Using tools is so fun.)

DONE.

Domestic superhero status: achieved

[Photo credit here; “recipe” credit here]

1. Grandma permalink
    July 20, 2010 9:51 am

Right on, Caroline. Been doing this for years. Always works. When I have a housekeeping problem I look in the mirror and say, “who will help me with this?” and then I say, “well, how about you?” Then the person in the mirror, along with God, gets it done. Carry on!

2. July 20, 2010 10:31 am

I love your solution! My husband and I used to live in a really old house with really old plumbing, and I was constantly having a problems with my long hair and our clogged shower drain. My dad rigged a coat hanger so I could fish around down there and pull out my nasty hair. My hub refused to take part, so I would just squat in the tub and pull it out and gag every so often. This sounds like a much better option!

3. July 20, 2010 3:53 pm

The classic solution! I’m pretty sure an ample amount of baking soda and vinegar will cure just about anything.

Plus, it is reminiscent of elementary school science class. Everybody loves the baking soda volcano =)

July 22, 2010 9:07 am

@ Grandma!

Yeah! My person is the mirror is the best helper I know. And she loves baking soda and vinegar too. 🙂

July 22, 2010 9:08 am

@ Beth!

Oh me, oh my. I would think this is definitely better than a coat hanger — though you might still have to fish around for some of the larger hair clumps. I was surprised how well this worked; hopefully you have equal luck!

July 22, 2010 9:09 am

@ Hilary!

I’m pretty sure baking soda and vinegar is secretly the key to global warming, peace in the Middle East and the cure for cancer.

Okay, maybe not.

But it’s still pretty fantastic.