longing to fall

August 10, 2010

Fall is my favorite season and as August roars by,  I can feel the tingle for the coming days in my toes.

I’ll admit, the romance of it all is incredibly selective in its misty memories. My mind is conveniently forgetting the freezing cold, the early setting sun, sniffly noses and radiators that either melt or freeze my apartment.

Instead, to an inner soundtrack of Rosie Thomas, I am beginning to get dreamy-eyed for all things pumpkin, thick scarves, picking apples, the symphony of changing colors and many snuggly afternoons where the heat from my oven is welcome and perfumed with the scent of cinnamon and allspice.

Sigh.

Possibly my favorite way to greet fall is to pull on a cute pair of boots and go tromping around happily, hot coffee or cider in hand. Unfortunately, both pairs of my boots from the last two winters are leaky, beat-up and couldn’t handle another season unless I wrapped duct tape around them. Hence, I had to fight against my cheaper side and buy these lovely things which are guaranteed to keep my feet comfy and cozy for years to come.

What is your favorite fall activity?

[photo credit here]

1. August 10, 2010 7:00 pm

Fall is my favorite season too! You handily mentioned everything I loved about it and now I really, really can’t wait for it to get here! (And that’s not just because the humidity here is out of control.)

2. August 11, 2010 10:37 am

I think there’s something very romantic about fall. I love anticipating pumpkin spice lattes and sweaters and boots and crunchy leaves and a final relief from our confining southern heat. We still have awhile before we see fall, but I can’t wait!

August 11, 2010 10:50 am

@ Leigh!

Yeah, humidity is pretty much zero fun. Good thing our dearest fall is unmaimed by that. 🙂

August 11, 2010 10:51 am

@ Beth!

I bet you’ll look so darling, all pregnant and bundled up! My sister, when pregnant last fall, used it as an excuse to eat lots of cozy fall foods, like pumpkin muffins — baking them to take to the hospital is the first thing I did when I got the call that she went into labor. 🙂

5. Dave permalink
    August 11, 2010 11:15 am

I am in for 7 months of Fall, 1 month of summer, 1 month of spring, and 3 months of winter. Unfortunately, fall won’t kick in here until late October.

6. August 11, 2010 6:53 pm

Fall is my favorite season! Originally it was because my birthday is in October. Now, it is truly my favorite season for weather, baking, well…everything. This summer has been especially hot and humid, so I’m hoping for a swift fall.

I think it is probably another two-three months away. It usually doesn’t start feeling like a Michigan fall until early December here in SW Ohio…. I would just like it to be under 80 with minimal humidity. Soon.