sneaky-peek!

September 22, 2010

World, I’d like to introduce you to the pumpkin swirl brownie.

Part pumpkin, part brownie, all awesome.

I made two batches of these today for the party I’m catering this weekend. I keep fretting about whether or not they will keep three days, but I have tucked them carefully into boxes and with the lids tightly on, I’m hoping for the best. Otherwise, I will be up at 2 in the morning on Saturday, brownie batter on my face and a crazed look in my eye.

That said, these are SO DELICIOUS. (Well, I had to try one. What kind of chef would I be if I fed something to a client I hadn’t personally tasted first? It’s the job, you know. Someone has to do it.) They have just a tiny bit of spice to them, thanks to a teeny bit of cayenne pepper in the batter, and they are rich yet still airy, like a dense souffle or mousse.

Now only 2 pans of caramel apple bread pudding, 40 pumpkin cupcakes and 3 chai-pear cakes to go…

1. Aban Jasoomani permalink
    September 22, 2010 9:45 pm

OOOHHHHH MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. swoon.

2. Amanda permalink
    September 22, 2010 11:03 pm

how could I love you more? if I could this would make me love you more…that makes no sense but you have chocolate and pumpkin in the same dessert! <2

3. Rachel permalink
    September 23, 2010 10:11 am

Are you going to share the recipe? They look delightful!

4. September 23, 2010 10:34 am

Might I say that I am so proud of you, sweet Caroline!
    I dare say that Donald Miller would be too, as you edit your life.

5. September 23, 2010 12:00 pm

So excited for you and your client! Everything sounds so so awesome. I used to do a little catering on the side, and no matter how much planning and scheduling I’d done to avoid it, there would always be a moment when I was just freaking out and exhausted and telling my forced laborer husband to strip the thyme leaves faster or not to drop the perfectly arranged mini twice-baked potatoes or not to break the parmesan cups with his clumsy man hands. I think those high adrenaline, crunch-time moments are part of why I loved doing the jobs, too. There’s nothing like working hard to make beautiful things with your hands to give to others for their pleasure. For me, it’s one of the most satisfying things I’ve ever done.

Please, please take pictures!

6. September 24, 2010 11:51 am

Looks great and I know your client is going to be absolutely over the moon. I must say, I’m starting to worry that you have developed an unhealthy devotion to Deb Perelman and her SmittenKitchen…

Self help group, perhaps? I’m usually thrilled by Deb’s recipes, but I have experienced three recipe fails in a row now. I’m now on a self-imposed SmittenKitchen sabbatical.

September 24, 2010 6:18 pm

@ Aban!

S-e-r-i-o-u-s-l-y. So tasty.

September 24, 2010 6:18 pm

@ Amanda!

I’m jealous you get to eat at this party. Tell me how my babies go over!!

September 24, 2010 6:19 pm

@ Rachel!

The recipe is linked in the first paragraph — happy baking!

September 24, 2010 6:19 pm

@ Linda!

Jeez, you AND Don! Such love! 🙂 Thanks so much!

September 24, 2010 6:21 pm

@ Beth!

Geez, you’re such a pro! I have some learnin’ to do. 🙂 I have no capable mens hanging out to help me, but that’s okay. I had “The Office” playing in the background as I baked, so I might say Jim gave me a hand. 🙂 Tee-hee!

Pictures to be posted soon!

September 24, 2010 6:23 pm

@ Hilary!

Yes, I am a little obsessed with Smitten Kitchen. Almost all the recipes for this gig are from SK — though one I did adapt. Self-help group? Maybe. Or maybe I’ll just keep cookin’. 🙂

Trackbacks