fist pump tuesday

September 28, 2010

This week’s FPT is short ‘n’ sweet! Fist pumps at the ready, please!

“Sweet Caroline” as sung by GLEE! I have heard this song more times than anyone can fathom. I have received so many (sometimes drunken) phone calls from baseball games, karaoke bars, and parties, with people howling this song into the phone or on my voicemail. I have been serenaded (actually, actually serenaded) with it in front of a large crowd of people in a foreign country. My mother made up her own version and used to sing it to me as a child.

And for years, I have pointed a finger of blame at Neil Diamond for writing that stupid, stupid song. However, all that changed when I watched the episode of Glee where Puck sings this song and utterly redeems the crap out of it.

I now officially can’t stop listening to it, which feels oddly vain. (But only the Glee version; I still have it out for you, Neil.)

What is making you pump your fist today?

1. Scout permalink
    September 28, 2010 9:08 pm

I don’t get it. What makes it so much better than the original?

2. SJR permalink
    September 28, 2010 9:12 pm

Noelle beat me to my question.

Also, I’m reminded of a High School Musical-esque type of production. Amiwrong?

Also, will you be my date to your sister’s wedding? Oh wait, you already are.

September 28, 2010 9:19 pm

@ Scout + SJR!

I can’t explain it — it’s just…good. Also, it’s not Neil Diamond singing, so that’s a big plus. I’m a GLEE geek, I suppose. Totally different than High School Musical…Disney has no involvement.

Also, SJR, yes I will be your date. I have a hot dress — be prepared to boogie.

4. Scout permalink
    September 28, 2010 9:22 pm

It looks disney esque…plus Disney doesn’t have to be there for Disney to be present. I believe it to be as much of an adjective these days as it is an actual brand/company.
    Anyways, I think Neil Diamond is a cheeseball too. But I guess what I want to say is…so is this dude with the buzzed out mohawk and sappy gaze.
    Love you. Miss you.

September 28, 2010 10:32 pm

@ Scout!

Of course this guy is a cheeseball. I don’t like this version because of him. I just like the cadence and rhythm of it. Also, I just really love GLEE — it’s so colorful and fun and whimsical.

Love you, miss you, always, always.

6. dustin permalink
    September 29, 2010 12:08 am

it makes me want to drink my own piss

September 29, 2010 9:34 am

@ Dustin!

I can always count on you for an optimistic, sunny outlook on life. 🙂 Thanks, champ.