peace + pieces

September 30, 2010
tags: , ,

Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.

This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. -1 John 3:18-20

My heart, some days, can become a breeding ground for worry, self-criticism and panic. I feel like everything inside me is zooming around in circles and nothing, not one single thought, can stand still. On those days, it is hard for me to come to God, simply because I feel like I come in pieces and He deserves more than that.

But then there are days like today, when I can live at peace with the forces of the world, focusing in on the blazing glory of the blue skies, the tickly brush of dried leaves on my toes and the intense delight that is pumpkin and caramelized leek polenta. (Look for the recipe tomorrow!)

In those days, I open my eyes to His presence all around me — in the wind, in the coming season, in the food on the end of my spoon — and know that even then, as I come to Him in pieces again and again, it is enough…I am enough…because His great and unsurpassed love for me is enough.

What brings you peace today?

[photo credit here]

1. September 30, 2010 5:02 pm

The thought of pizza and a football game and the couch tonight. Oh, yes, and the little girl growing inside me.

2. October 1, 2010 7:56 am

These words:
    “Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you.
    It will set you free!”

3. Grandma permalink
    October 1, 2010 9:28 am

On days when my life seems too big and scary, it’s because I have allowed my God to become small and marginalized. I have become the focus of my heart. Then I trade places and all is well once more.

October 5, 2010 5:39 pm

@ Beth!

Pizza and couch — sometimes, you just need it.

October 5, 2010 5:39 pm

@ Cassidhe!

So encouraging. I love. 🙂

October 5, 2010 5:42 pm

@ Grandma!

Trading places is definitely necessary so many times — yet it is comforting that all can still be well.