up north + sister time

October 6, 2010

I spent this past weekend up north in Traverse City with my sister Johanna, celebrating our dear friend Amanda and her husband Chris’s wedding. And what a hootanany! We danced, we drank, we ate and ate and ate, and then we danced some more. Amanda was the most beautiful bride and I cried and cried, I was so full of joy for her and Chris. There is nothing quite so lovely as celebrating the really good things, the bread-and-butter of life, with dear friends.

And the wine-tasting. Oh, the wine-tasting! Even though I was yawning the whole drive home, the unwooded chardonnay from 45 North and the mulled cherry wine from Black Star Farms especially were worth it. We ate giant sandwiches (curried chicken salad with dried cherries on pretzel bread — oh, mama!) from this wonderful little bakery in a fishing town and enjoyed the bright sunshine.

The colors are just starting to change and with the crisp air and saturated skies, it was a glorious fall weekend to be thankful for.

1. SJR permalink
    October 6, 2010 9:42 pm

Noelle and I honeymooned there with her parents. Yeah, she totally got ice cream at that place next to the sandwiches.

2. Hillary Wernlund permalink
    October 7, 2010 10:01 am

YUMMM! the unwooded chardonnay is my favorite!! delicious!

3. October 7, 2010 12:23 pm

I love every part of that post! What a happy trip and weekend. Everything so pretty and crisp-looking. Here’s to vicarious road tripping!

4. Johanna permalink
    October 7, 2010 9:04 pm

love you seester..I had so much fun!!! Remember we were @ the Comfort Inn ; )

5. scout permalink
    October 8, 2010 8:06 pm

I TOTALLY GOT CHERRY CHOCOLATE ICECREAM MY DAD BOUGHT IT FOR ME AND I WAS WEARING A SHIRT WITH BIRDS ON IT AND SANDY AND I WENT SWIMMING IN THE LAKE AND WE ATE CHEESEBURGERS AND STAYED BY A WATERFALL AND SANDRA WAS SO HOT AND BEAUTIFUL AND WE WERE HAPPY AND MY PARENTS WEREN’T THAT HAPPY AND I LOVE YOU CAROLINE.

October 13, 2010 5:27 pm

@ SJR!

We must go there someday — a place with a giant sign dedicated solely to sandwiches? It’s calling our names.

October 13, 2010 5:28 pm

@ Hil!

I could have drank the whole bottle and then some. My empty pockets were the only reason I walked out without a bottle. Sigh.

October 13, 2010 5:28 pm

@ Beth!

Vicarious road-tripping indeed — I did that awhile back with your photos from Chicago. 🙂

October 13, 2010 5:28 pm

@ Seester!

Love you, boo.

October 13, 2010 5:29 pm

@ Scout!

I LOVE YOU BACK. I want to eat ice cream by a waterfall with you. Well, maybe pie instead. I’m kinda cold right now.

11. Betsy permalink
    October 22, 2010 2:25 pm

Caroline!:) It is your dear high school/newspaper friend Betsy:) Did you guys go to Fishtown in Leland? My parents now own a house right down the street!:) Let me know if you ever go up during the holidays so we can meet up!!:)

P.S. If I haven’t already told you, I LOVE your blog. You are an incredibly gifted writer and I adore reading each of your wonderful posts! Keep up the great work and happy cooking!!:)

Betsy 🙂

October 22, 2010 9:27 pm

@ Betsy!

Well, hello, Miss Betsy! So nice of you to leave a comment and thank you so much for your encouragement. 🙂 That’s so cool that your parents live in Leland now, how fun! Fishtown there is great — we mostly just bought sandwiches and left, but it’s a great area. I love M22.

Hoping you are well!!