fist pump tuesday

November 23, 2010

Here’s what’s pumping my fists this week:

1. Knittin’ — I am back to knitting, now that it is cold weather, perfect for sitting by my window, with a pile of knitting, a well-worn BBC miniseries playing and a steaming mug of tea next to me. My pleasures are akin to those of an 85 year old woman, but that’s okay. I like them anyway. And for the first time in my six years of knitting, I am making something for myself. Though my skills are extremely limited (I know exactly one stitch), I am knitting together a cute gray cowl that I plan on decorating with some cute vintage buttons.

2. Mushrooms on Toast — I saw this on Seven Spoons and about died. If there are two things I truly love in this world, one is mushrooms and the other is toast. (Oh, and knee-length socks! Oh, and rainstorms! Oh, and…nevermind.) This comes from my beloved Jamie Oliver as well, which means double-points of deliciousness. I’ve requested several of his cookbooks for Christmas. We’ll see if Santa the Cookbook Fairy comes through… (In the meantime, there is mushrooms on toast. And that is good enough.)

3. Naps — What with a quiet weekend and now, a whole week of no school (but still work), I have managed to take THREE naps in the past THREE days. I know…it feels illegally luxurious. I can’t remember the last time I napped really at all, so when I’ve woken up from those naps, I definitely feel disoriented and confused as to why it’s not the middle of the night. So worth it, though. Oh, naps — I love you.

Hey, you! What’s pumping your fist this week?

1. Scout permalink
    November 24, 2010 12:08 pm

One day when we truly are 85, and our spouses are gone and your kids are grown up, I hope deeply from the bottom of my heart that I am knitting things with you by windows with tea and npr.
    For I believe that we are well ready for old age, you and I, just as firmly as I believe we will never not be children at heart.
    I am glad to share this oldness/youngness with you, for not many people have it and I think it is something special.

I LOVE YOU!

2. Aban Jasoomani permalink
    November 25, 2010 9:25 am

naps are wonderful! me moms had been gone for a 100 years (read 7 weeks) and one of the first things we did together upon her return (after sipping tea, and giggling over her adventures) was to NAP. TOGETHER!

it was glorious.

i heart your blog. it is refreshing, challenging, and exciting.

i’m currently noshing on toast with p&b & deRujiter (this dutch sprinkle stuff) and sipping tea.

also. i loved it when you said “My pleasures are akin to those of an 85 year old woman..” <—thatsAh me!

blessings on your day sweet caroline.

November 26, 2010 8:46 pm

@ Scout!

I cannot, cannot, CANNOT wait to grow old with you. Our oldness/youngness is one of my favorite parts of our friendship and when accompanied by knitting, NPR and tea, it’s near nirvana. Seriously, if your “The OC” DVDs are still around at this point, I will be as psyched as I can be without falling out of my wheelchair.

I love you so very, very much.

November 26, 2010 8:54 pm

P.S. Perhaps we’ll end up in the same nursing home as Taylor Hanson. I mean, if his spouse is gone, too…it’s never too late for a second chance. :p

November 26, 2010 8:58 pm

@ Aban!

Ahhhh, naps with moms. A good thing all around — I’m never too old for some down time with my momma. 🙂

Thank you so much for your lovely encouragement. Also, high five on your snack choice. Mmmmmmm.

6. Scout permalink
    November 28, 2010 2:14 pm

Then we would have to get in an old lady fight over taylor. I wonder how that would end? He will still be super sexy when he is old.
    God i still want him.