from my table: guinness brownies

May 13, 2011

I’m a fan of unlikely pairings, a champion for the slightly awkward of the food world. I jumped early onto the sea salt and caramel boat, I found herbs and chocolate together to be utterly divine and don’t even tell me that Nutella on kettle-cooked potato chips isn’t nirvana (I know, guilty pleasure snack).

These brownies are another one of my favorite unusual combinations —  beer and chocolate. More specifically, that dark, foamy, quintessentially Irish stout, Guinness. The barrel chest of this hearty brew gives a wonderful depth to these dense, damp brownies. This just may be my favorite brownie recipe and it has won over many converts. In fact, I just made 120 minis of these last night for a friend’s art reception.

I might have snuck one.
It was a corner piece.
No one likes those, anyway.

These aren’t your typical fudgy brownies; their texture is reminiscent of my favorite chocolate cake, though a bit more burly. Like the Irish, these Guinness brownies don’t screw around — they are rich, melting, sexy and just a little bit dangerous.

Basically, these brownies are the dessert version of this guy.

My gift to you, friends. Make brownies and be joyful.

Grace Neill’s Guinness Brownies
From The New Irish Table

4 eggs
3/4 c. granulated sugar
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
4 ounces white chocolate, chopped
6 tbsp. unsalted butter
3/4 c. all purpose flour
3/4 c. cocoa powder
1 1/4 c. Guinness stout

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Butter an 8×8″ pan.

In an electric mixer, combine the eggs and sugar. Beat until it is light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes.

In a medium bowl set over a pan of simmering water, melt the bittersweet chocolate, white chocolate and butter, stirring until smooth. Remove from the heat, let it cool for 5 minutes, and beat into the egg mixture.

Sift the flour and cocoa together and beat into the chocolate mixture. Whisk in the Guinness. The batter should be thick and shiny.

Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out almost clean. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.

Cut into squares and serve.

Serves 8 to 10

1. May 13, 2011 4:11 pm

ahhh!!! love. it.

and who wouldn’t want a dessert version (or the real version) of JRM.

2. Kim permalink
    May 14, 2011 10:22 am

Those look soo yummy! (And if you’re looking into more chocolate/Guinness combos, check out this cheesecake recipe my sister tried a while ago: http://eatingontulsatime.blogspot.com/2009/09/happy-birthday-to-me.html. I loved it, and I hate Guinness.)

May 14, 2011 9:35 pm

@ Kim –

Thanks! I feel confident that just because a person doesn’t like Guinness (I don’t like drinking stouts) doesn’t mean ya can’t cook with it. IT’S TOTALLY MARVY. 🙂

4. Lisa permalink
    May 16, 2011 7:05 pm

I love brownies and I love Guinness. Perfect. I’ll definitely have to try making these. I may have to sneak a pint of Guinness out of the pub though–it’s really difficult to find a store where I can buy it–no Meijers around here.

One question though: They look kind of undercooked in your picture. Is that how they’re supposed to be? Germans don’t really have anything comparable to this, so I don’t know how they’ll accept it, but the batch of Germans I tested your chocolate cake on did approve!

May 16, 2011 8:18 pm

@ Lisa –

They are supposed to have a very soft, almost undercooked texture. They aren’t gooey in the same way other brownies are (they aren’t fudgy, I should say) — they are more just really, really silky soft. Let them cool completely, preferably overnight, before cutting them.

I hope the Germans give these the stamp of approval! Tell ’em you got the recipe from David Hasselhoff and maybe then they’ll eat them. :p

6. Lisa permalink
    May 18, 2011 7:12 am

Will do!!

Didn’t manage to sneak a pint of Guiness out of the pub yesterday evening. I guess I’ll have to find a store that sells it. 😉